Volunteer with Pacific Opera
The friendly face that patrons see as soon as they arrive at the theatre or at a community event is often that of a Pacific Opera volunteer. Our volunteers are among our most passionate ambassadors for opera, and Pacific Opera Victoria depends on their commitment and enthusiasm to help us welcome the community into the world of opera.
We welcome volunteers who are excited about assisting Pacific Opera with community programming, special events, or theatre support. Volunteers currently support the following Pacific Opera Victoria activities:
- Inside Opera: A community education and engagement event held prior to each opera, including a lecture about the upcoming production and entertainment by one or more artists. Volunteers greet guests and help to serve tea, coffee, and cookies. This event starts at 10 am and 12 noon and runs for 90 minutes each on a Sunday.
- Opera Etc Community Events: Events such as Opera Motifs, Lunchbox Opera, Dialogues, usually held at the Baumann Centre. Volunteers welcome guests, help with parking, coats, registration, and other duties as required.
- Sense of Occasion: A glittering opening night pre-opera reception. Volunteers greet guests, and serve canapés. Wine service is provided by the theatre. Volunteer commitment is from 6 pm to 8 pm on opening night.
- Donor Appreciation Events: Events held at various venues, usually in the evening. Volunteers greet guests, take coats and wraps, serve canapés and wine, help keep the venue tidy, and assist as needed. The time commitment is about 3 hours per event.
- Special Events and Gala Fundraisers: Responsibilities include greeting guests, taking wraps and coats, and other activities as required. Commitment is normally from 3 to 7 hours.
- Programme Handout: Volunteers welcome audiences before performances of each opera. Please note that this activity requires volunteers to stand for up 2 hours.
- Programme Stuffing and Mailouts: Volunteers place inserts into programmes and assist in stuffing envelopes for patron mailings. Time commitment: 2 to 3 hours.
If you would like to be a Pacific Opera Volunteer, please complete our Volunteer Application Form
Volunteer recruitment and assignments are coordinated by an active Volunteer Committee, chaired by Dr. Mary F. Kennedy. The information you provide in your application will help the Committee match your skills and availability to the needs of Pacific Opera.
Volunteers who have participated as volunteers in at least three Pacific Opera events or projects in the previous 15 months are members of the Pacific Opera Victoria Association and as such are entitled to attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting.
Policy on Youth Volunteers
Volunteers under 16 years of age will be offered volunteer opportunities under the direction of a Volunteer Coordinator.
- It is Pacific Opera’s policy not to recruit or utilise volunteers under 10 years of age.
- Volunteers under 16 years of age must have a consent form signed by a parent or guardian.
- Parents or guardians are required to volunteer with their children who are 10 to 12 years of age.
- Volunteers under 16 years of age may not volunteer without a parent or guardian for events ending after 1830h (6:30 pm).
- Parents or guardians are responsible for drop off and pick up of their children who are under the age of 16.
Addendum: Pacific Opera Victoria does not rate events for content. Parents or guardians should satisfy themselves that content of the event is appropriate.