The Keynotes Collection is a curated exploration of Pacific Opera Victoria’s recent productions, featuring articles from our Keynotes Newsletter, as well as Programme Notes, production photos, video trailers, reviews, and more.
Dip your toe into new opera experiences (the water is warm) or relive the magic of productions you’ve seen. Come back often as new archival materials are added to the collection.
Behind the Scenes
Head ‘Behind the Scenes’ for opera stories, artist profiles, and more…
Pacific Opera Victoria is one of the most influential professional opera companies in Canada. From its home in the Baumann Centre, Pacific Opera Victoria creates significant career opportunities for creative and performing artists and curates opera in surprising ways – enticing newcomers and captivating loyal opera-goers.
The Flight of the Hummingbird
Pacific Opera Victoria and Vancouver Opera present a free online broadcast of the new family opera The Flight of the Hummingbird beginning May 19, 2020. Watch as the animals of the forest are inspired to come together by Dukdukdiya, the Hummingbird, to save their beautiful home from a raging fire.
For All to Hear
A space and a platform for IBPoC (Indigenous, Black, People of Colour) opera artists to share their personal experiences through musical performance or stories of moments that bring home the fact of racial division as they have lived through it. Pacific Opera invites IBPoC opera artists to share your voice, your stories, and your creativity for all to hear.
Communication of truths is what art and artists can do with unequaled directness.
Opera Etc is everything we do OFF THE STAGE – and ONLINE – to help opera come alive. It is Pacific Opera’s invitation to you to discover, learn, and enjoy. You may not figure out the meaning of life, but you will find new ways to explore art in the context of the world in which we live. And the world we're living in now is challenging us to remain Physically Distant but Socially Connected – meaning Opera Etc Online is your connection to videos, podcasts, and more.Find out more
Washing your hands has never been so much fun!
Opera artists combine health and safety with great singing. Feel free to join in as opera divas and divos demonstrate proper handwashing technique while singing popular arias to new words.
As Lady Macbeth would say,
Una macchia è qui tuttora…Via, ti dico, o maledetta!
(Yet here’s a spot. Out, damned spot! out, I say!)
Public Health Update
Pacific Opera is reimagining the 2020/21 opera season to conform to the requirements of British Columbia’s Restart Plan. As activities requiring large gatherings are impossible for the foreseeable future, Pacific Opera has postponed the opera productions that were to be performed at Victoria’s Royal Theatre and McPherson Playhouse this season. But we will continue to produce opera in the coming months in ways that are both safe and surprising – online and in small gatherings.
Safety Protocols have been established in compliance with WorkSafeBC and include the following measures for your comfort and health at all Pacific Opera events:
- Maximum occupancy is 50 people.
- All patrons will be required to complete a COVID-19 self-assessment tool before attending events.
- Entry will be denied to anyone who has had symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 10 days, has arrived from outside Canada, or lives with or is a contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case.
- Robust cleaning and sanitizing protocols are in place at all Pacific Opera events and facilities.
- Patron seating is at individual tables, with members of the same social group or household.
- Patrons are seated a minimum of 2 meters from others, and at a minimum distance of 3 meters from all performing artists.
- Controlled entry and egress is provided to ensure distancing.
- Onsite staff and performing artists undergo daily monitoring – including temperature checks, self-assessments and health declarations.
- Food and beverage handlers are subject to additional health and safety controls.
For detailed information, please consult Pacific Opera’s COVID-19 Safety Plan.
On demand broadcast of the enchanting new family opera The Flight of the Hummingbird.
Robert Holliston chats about everything opera-related. Insightful, friendly, funny – and available whenever you feel like listening.